In Edmonton Catholic Schools, students are invited to develop the knowledge, beliefs, skills, values, and attitudes needed to build a relationship with God and community. Catholic education upholds the goals and objectives of the highest quality education while embracing the growth and development of the whole person – physically, intellectually, emotionally, socially, and spiritually.
In addition to the Ukrainian language, each of the schools also provides English instruction, a strong faith-based curriculum, French as a second language (Grade 4 to Grade 12) and a multitude of other academic, language, athletic, arts, extracurricular and faith development programs. Listed with each of the schools are some of the academy/focus programs they offer.
Please visit the school’s website for more information.
St. Martin Catholic Elementary School
St. Brendan Catholic Elementary/Junior High School
Programs available at school
Ukrainian Bilingual Grades 7-9
Spanish Language and Culture
Interesting facts about Ukrainian Bilingual Program in Edmonton
- Edmonton Catholic Schools District has been offering the Ukrainian Bilingual Program since 1974.
- The Ukrainian Bilingual Program was started in January 1974 at Fr. Leo Green and St. Matthew with the first Kindergarten class. The first Grade 1 class was offered in September 1974.
- It was the first second language bilingual program offered in Alberta, not including the French First second language bilingual program offered by the Edmonton Catholic School District.
- It is the longest running second language bilingual program offered by Edmonton Catholic School District or any other School District in Alberta.
- The Edmonton Catholic School District’s Ukrainian Bilingual Program is among a few second language programs, offering continuous education from Kindergarten to Grade 12.
- The Ukrainian Bilingual Program was one of the first second language programs to offer language proficiency testing for university entrance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Edmonton Catholic Schools provides city-wide transportation service, by yellow and ETS buses to students enrolled in the bilingual program, including service to St. Brendan and Austin O’Brien. For additional information please call the District Transportation office at 780 441-6078.
Yes. Students in our program have consistently scored above the provincial average on provincial achievement tests.
Most of our students come from homes where Ukrainian is not spoken on a regular basis. The program is designed to facilitate language learning for a variety of skill levels. The results show that non – native speaking children can achieve average to above-average results.
Studies show that bilingual program students meet and often exceed the learning levels of unilingual students.
Yes. French instruction starts at Grade 4.
Edmonton Catholic Schools welcomes students from all faiths and from neighbouring communities. They may enroll at any Catholic school if there is available space and the program is deemed suitable for the student.